Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving

Date: 11/29/08

At first I was going to describe how, since we did not have Thursday off of work, the volunteers gathered together for a Kyrgyz style pot luck Thanksgiving feast on Saturday. A feast complete with rotisserie chickens, mashed potatoes, hashbrown casserole, carrots, tuna salad, stove-top stuffing from the states, several homemade pumpkin pies, rice pudding, and an apple pie. But as we ate, someone jokingly asked “Is this the time we go around and say what we are thankful for?” We all laughed but it made me think.

I want to say thank you to my friends and family. As I sat there in a room filled with other volunteers, I realized that I have an amazing support system back in the states. I have a family that calls every Sunday morning and sends me anything I can imagine in the mail. I have friends who call almost like clockwork to remind me that I am not forgotten just because I live on the other side of the world. I know that if I ever have a problem over here, I have several people to help talk me through it. I know that I have people back in the states who will do anything they can to help me out. It is an amazing network that is easy to take for granted. Honestly, I don’t think that anyone will ever be able to completely understand how much easier my life is because of their tireless support. So this thanksgiving, I would like to make a very public announcement and tell all of my friends and family that what I am most thankful for is their support. I would not be able to do this work with out you guys. THANK YOU!!!

1 comment:

Lauren Thielicke said...

Well it's been a while since I have been able to read any of your posts and I must say I really really enjoy each and every word. Thanks for sharing and as always, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Love, -Lauren Thielicke