Monday, March 1, 2010

Old New Year

I think this holiday is quite fun if you know what it is…I, however, did not know.

I was sitting at home one quiet day waiting on my site mate to gethome so I could go visit her. There was a knock at my door. I look outand it is a group of youth. I thought for a minute before I answeredthe door. Ultimately I determined that maybe one of the neighbors hadsent them to tell me something.

I was wrong.

I answered the door and almost immediately these enthusiastic youthbegan singing in Russian and through handfuls of rice at me. I was sostunned it took at least 7 handfuls of rice before I thought to closethe door. I was particularly upset because I had just swept the floor.I crouched by the door holding it closed. They kept knocking. I wouldperiodically stand up to look out of my peephole to see if they werestill there. This was so small task as my peephole is the size of asilver dollar; so, if they were still there, they would be able to seeI was at the door. I took the angle approach. I could stand as faraway and to the side of the peephole as I could as still view out ofit. After what seemed like an eternity, they left.

I went back to the couch utterly confused. I had no idea what I haddone to get rice thrown at me.
I watched out my window as more groups of youth entered the apartmentbuilding and subsequently knocked on my door and that of my neighbor’sbefore ascending the stairs. There was Russian singing heardthroughout the building.

I walked to my site mate’s apartment doing my best to avoid any groupof children that looked like they were holding something. One childrenhollered, “Zdravstvuite!” (a formal hello) and I flinched. Maybe hehad more rice to throw at me.

About this point I started to feel slightly ridiculous and thinksomething was up. I texted a local friend and asked, “Why are hordesof children walking around through rice at people?” She responded,“It’s Old New Year. It is the day that New Year was before we switchedcalendars. It is like your Halloween. You are supposed to give themcandy or fruit. The more rice or wheat or grain they throw at you themore wealth you will have this year.“

About 5 minutes after this, another friend stopped by to wish us ahappy old new year.

I later decided this is a fun, interesting holiday. I was also rather embarrassed by being so frightened of youth throwingrice at me. After all, its just rice.

No comments: